Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Not Every Post Will be About Omelets...


One of my favorite restaurants in the world is First Watch. It's a fun, preppy breakfast/brunch/lunch cafe that Chris and I frequent whenever we get the chance (which isn't too often now--Joplin is the home of 7000 restaurants, only a few of which transcend mediocrity, and none of them a First Watch). My favorite First Watch of all is on Walnut Street in downtown Cincinnati. When Chris and I were first married, we would go to the aforementioned location on late Saturday mornings or Sunday after church. It wasn't long before we found ourselves in an ordering rut: Killer Cajun omelet (Chris' made with an extra egg), cup of coffee (decaf for me since I was pregnant with Maisey), and extra Santa Fe sauce (for both of us).

We were back in Cincinnati last week for the North American Christian Convention and we took the opportunity to go back to our old hang-out, first with some of the CIY staff, then again with Maisey and Marley. It was so fun to share with Maisey and Marley about the significance this particular restaurant held for us, about the first days of our married life, about the things we used to do, about how glad we are that God chose us to be their mommy and daddy. They were so gracious to oblige us as we waxed nostalgic; they didn't even roll their eyes.

When it came time to order, Chris stuck to the old standby but I ventured off the path into new menu territory. I ordered the Acapulco Express omelet. After the waitress walked away to put in our order, I felt regret mingled with sadness. I worried that this walk down memory lane would somehow be diminished by not ordering my usual. I knew I would not be disappointed with the Killer Cajun, so why did I find it necessary rock the boat? But all is well that ends well. Chris embraced the rut as he savored his omelet, my low-level grief was washed away with a sip of coffee (this time caffeinated) and a bite of my food, and Maisey and Marley had chocolate goatees from their chocolate chip pancakes. Perfection.

I look forward to future trips to the downtown Cincinnati First Watch with my family. I will probably stray again from the standard that is the Killer Cajun, but I will always be in a rut of telling our daughters our family story. There may come a day when they roll their eyes, but that's not going to stop me.

4 comments:

Alana said...

Love the title. I've never been to that restaurant, but I know now to try it if I ever run into one!

Angie said...

YUM! I don't know whether I want an omelet or chocolate chip pancakes...definitely caffeinated! Wish I could meet you there Saturday morning! heck, I'd take meeting you at a Waffle House! Miss you!

Shelley said...

Okay Kristi...the pressure is on. Angie is spreading word of your blog far and wide!!!
I'm so glad that she did... I look forward to more! I will definatley look up your restaurant if I am ever that way.
Blessings to you and your family~
Shelley Swindler
www.wildnoodles.blogspot.com

Sara at Miller Moments: said...

I love First Watch, too. My hubs and I met and married in Florida, and they had several in our area. Now, there's one in T-town, OK...but it's about 30 minutes from our home. My favorite is the Mushroom Caps with an extra side of the amazing poppyseed/tomato/cucumber salsa/salad stuff. YUMM!!!!!!!

Welcome to the world of blogging - found you via FB and Alana. :)